Information re Legals and Required Forms


Legal Requirements     Required Documents       Downloadable Forms

Your Notice of Intended Marriage needs to be lodged at least one calendar month prior to the proposed marriage date. I have all the necessary documents available.

The Notice of Intended Marriage must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage and the signatures witnessed by an authorised Celebrant or other suitable person as nominated on the form. One person may lodge this form in cases where it is difficult for them both to be present, however the other party to the marriage must sign the form prior to the marriage.

The date of lodgement is important. It must be lodged not later than one month and one day, and not more than 18 months prior to the wedding day. Under special circumstances, the Registrar of the local Magistrates Court can shorten the minimum time of notice. (A fee will apply from the Court, for their consideration of the application)

Marriage of any person under the age of 18 years without an Order of a Judge or Magistrate is invalid. Under no circumstances can two persons under 18 years marry each other without such an Order.

Documents required for sighting and confirmation:

  • Your original Birth Certificate - photocopies are not acceptable

  • Where applicable, evidence of termination of previous marriage of either or both parties  i.e. Divorce/Death Certificate of previous spouse.

NOTE: Persons from outside Australia should provide their current passport if they do not have their original birth certificate. Photocopies are not acceptable.

FORMS as downloadable and printable PDF documents:

Notice of Intended Marriage Form
Commonwealth Statutory Declation Form

If you cannot view the PDF docs, go to the Adobe website and download Adobe Reader. This free software enables you to display and print forms.


Ann Barnes, Marriage Celebrant   Phone: Call 0418 192 274  Website by Speedybug Web Design